Monday, May 14, 2007

My cheekiness

I have to be honest that i am a cheeky person. It is my character and i can't do anything about it. My cheekiness sometimes helps me a lot in number circumstances but also gives me some problems.

My cheekiness worked well when i was approached by sales guy on the street. You know sometimes they are quite annoying and offensive as well. I am small and skinny but far from being categorised as little people (to be politically correct). I found it rude if a salesperson comes up to me and offers a great deal at their gym. I usually say "Sorry, i've got to go. Maybe next time".

In one occasion, there was a guy who was doing survey or something at Newtown. When he stopped me and asked if i had few minutes to answer questionnaire, i said, "ME NO ENGLISH" and made gesture with my hands. That worked well. He seemed to believe that and did not continue hassling me. When i walked about few steps, my mobile was ringing. I paused started to have conversation in English. I saw him looking at me with WTF look.

The "ME NO ENGLISH" response could save me from telemarketers as well. Soon i recognise people on the phone are from telemarketing companies, i said: "ME NO ENGLISH". They hang up pretty quickly.

When i travel by bus in Sydney i like to put my arse on the seat with the stop button in front of me and preferably choose to sit in the middle section. It is convenient. I don't need to introduce my armpit to a lucky person next to me when my hand tries to reach the button. Apart from convenient factor, sitting in front of stop button inspired me to make up a game. I always look at the front section of the bus. If there was a people who is far from the stop button, they have to walk a bit to press it or at least lean their body toward it. Usually when they are making effort to press it, i hit the button very quickly.

My regular customer was an old guy, a grumpy undies who comes to RSL (i call this place a glorified nursing home), a place that i used to work. He always sits at the front near the driver. Around 5.30 pm, he normally catches the same bus as me. I always do this pressing-the-button game with him without being noticed. With my move to Melboure, surely he will miss me.

No comments:

Templates-Gallery