Saturday, February 17, 2007

Job Interview

It was 38 degrees yesterday and the forecast reported the next day would be the same. The house was uncomfortably boiling as the sun shone continuously the wooden wall. I couldnt open any window to let the air in because the wind was too hot. Disgusting!

What could i do in this horrible day? I will have a job interview later in the afternoon. Surely, no ones would think of going out in this weather. They'd rather stay at their air-conditioned house. But i dont have that luxury.

I was thinking of what kind of clothes that i would like to wear for this interview. 38 degrees! What clothes will suit that temperature? Singlet and short? Or just short? Bugger! Job interview is a big deal really. You need to give them a good impression at the first place before moving forward to a second step: interview. If you are not good in talking or thinking that nervousness would hold you back and freeze your brain, good outfits might be helpful. Superficial but necessary!

Fuck it! I dont give a damn with making a good impression. So i grabbed my denim and put my long sleeves shirt on. As i walked down the footpath, i could feel the hot breeze hiting my face.

4.20 pm. I've got to be there at 4.30. I didnt change my walking pace and thought it must be forgiven if you are late for ten or 12 minutes. This horrid weather could be a perfect excuse.
But i turn up late. 5 minutes only. I went straight inside and was greeted by a lady. She seemed nice. Tall, dark hair, looks a bit firm.

"Grab a seat, i'll get the application form for you"

I sat down on a chair with a round table. While she disappear into the office, i used this opportunity to look around. The restaurant looks okay, nothing special with the decoration. It has wine racks that are attached to the wall. The bar looks a bit small from outside. My observation was interrupted. Two blokes came in. They wore long sleeves shirts! Oh dear! She could be impressed by that and may have appreciated their intention to look neat and nice even though they have to suffer from the heat. They sat down at two tables before me.

It was only a brief interview. She looked on my application form.

"So you've lived in Sydney", asked her.

"Yes. I have lived in Sydney for 5 years, i replied.

"What make you move down to Melbourne", asked her again and folding her arms.

I said Sydney is getting unaffordable and would like to transfer my study to uni in Melbourne. This interview went on for at leas 15 minutes. I've got the impression that she'd like to finish it off by asking whether i have any question or not. Question! Yes, i was thinking of the wage but i happened to ask about other stuff. So i took out my CV and reference and handed them in to her.

"This would be very helpful", she said.

Thank God if it would. As she went to copy my reference letter, i saw a girl standing on the way between bar and kitchen. Yay, another competitor. Five minutes later, she came back and gave my reference letter back. She also gave me her business card and asked me to call her in the next week.

I am not sure whether i would get the job or not. Perhaps i would.

No comments:

Templates-Gallery