Tuesday, February 20, 2007

T-Bone without A Bone


A lady who owns the restaurant near my house rang me yesterday. She offered me a job as a pizza maker. I took the offer for several reasons.

First, it will give me new experience. I've never done it before and with my new hobby of cooking, this will probably be fun.

Second, working in the kitchen means that i can get away from customers. Of course, you are working for them but at least you don't have to talk to them and most importantly to stick your tongue in their arse to get good tips (Australians rarely tip).

Third, its all about the money. The bills await me on the table. Oh dear....

But i like the idea of getting away from the customer the most. I've never thought how annoying they can be, until i started working as waitstaff. Sometimes i thought it has something to do with power relation between waitstaff/restaurants and customers. They have money to spend on and expect something good in return. Fair enough. I'll be giving them a good one. However, some of them would think that they are always right and therefore keep complaining to get whatever they want. Not always, i would say. They have rights but they are not always right. I would say number of them are dumb.

Yest they are sometimes dumb. I remember when one customer asked me about the steak. He spoke with Australian accent.

"I have a question about the steak", he said.

"What is the question?, i replied.

"It is about the steak. It is said in here (he is pointing to the menu) that the T-Bone steak is 350 grams. Did you weigh the steak (T-Bone) with the bone or without the bone?, he asked me with a serious expression.

I thought, what kind of question is that. My replied was, "Sir, of course we weighed it with the bone. The name of the steak is T-Bone because of the cut and the bone that is attached to the meat which is like letter T. So you can't call T-Bone without a bone, can you?". I know i was being smart ass but that is because they acted like a know-it-all customers with upper-class background.

On another ocassion, a girl asked me a glass of wine. I told her what kind of wine that we have. I admit it, the wine collection is not really fabulous but drinkable. However, she refused to have them and asked me whether we have a good quality of wine. She is not wrong to ask a good quality of wine but she is wrong for not being aware what kind of restaurant the she was going. She saw the bloody menu before and should know the range of wine that is provided.

Some will whinge at you about food although she/he ate 3/4 of the meal. If you have a bite then yell at the staff and tell them what is the problem with the food. But if you finished 3/4 off the meal then later make a complain, you wont get a good response, i suppose.

Sometimes they are liar. On Saturday night normally the restaurant is packed and it takes awhile to serve the food. Some customers would speak to you crossly and said that they've been waiting for 40 minutes. You wont hassle the kitchen about this order as it is very likely they will tell you to fuck off. Speak to manager and she/he will sort it out. You are lucky enough if the restaurant has electronic system which can record the time of the order. From this docket i can see that the order was made 18 minutes ago and they all ordered Well Done steaks for fuck's sake.

To make a complain is really important as it shows you about the service. What normally happens when they are complaining, manager will decide whether they deserve complimentary drinks, free meals, or dessert. But if you complain just to get something for free then its better to go to take away shop.

No comments:

Templates-Gallery