Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sorry, you are in Victoria!

I didn't have a funny feeling when i bought a ticket of the machine inside the tram this morning. As always, i pay concession fee instead of full fare. Little green sticker on my student card is kind of magic which gives me a privilege every time i travel with public transports. This morning the magic sticker did not do anything to help me out. I got caught by officers who did inspection.

Once i got off at Southern Cross station, i jumped on the elevator to go up to the next level (concourse). In front of the exit gate, there were several officers standing up in a row like pawns and asking randomly to commuters about their tickets. Bad luck, i was picked up.

I told them that i've just moved from Sydney and i didn't have any concession card issued by the Victorian authority but i have one concession sticker on my Sydney University's student card. I explained further that i used that sticker in other state and it was fine. So i thought i can be used it as well in Victoria. They said i am not entitled to concession fee if i am using that concession card in Victoria. The Victorian government has its own rule under which students have a separate concession card that can be obtained through their educational institutions. Then one officer grabbed her pocket book and started to write a report about me. Perfect! My identity has to be divulged as i did not bring any ID with my current address in it. Lucky she could not speak to anyone on the numbers that i gave her. While she was writing the report, an officer who stood next to her told me that i will receive a letter about this matter and if i got fined, i can make appeal against it. He added that i may get fined or may not as my case was quite strong. "Any question", asked her soon she finished writing her report. I asked how much the maximum fine will be. "One hundred and fifty eight dollars!". "Fuck you very much!". I am livid.

I knew that you will need a concession card issued by the Victorian authority while you are in Melbourne. But my reason for not having it organised is that i don't want to follow their stupid logic. Students from Victoria would not be fined if they travel with their concession card in Sydney, New South Wales. So why should students from NSW organise a different kind of concession card while they are in Victoria? Concession for local students mean a lot as it could ease them financially. Concession card in Victoria has to be organised from universities in Victoria. So any students who have this privilege in their own states have to regretfully ignore their status. I could not imagine the most stupid scenario than a NSW student travels in Melbourne with a full fare ticket as their concession card can not be used in Victoria.

I got the impression that Melbourne seems to try to make itself different from other cities in Australia, particularly when it is compared to Sydney. Every time someone says "in Sydney...", people in Melb would probably say, "We are different". Yes you are indeed. Horrid weather, no city beaches, a weird transport regulation, Tram or i'd rather call it electric snail, Stupid 'football' game which is combining football and rugby, a hideous Eiffel wannabe tower are sort of things which make you different!

No comments:

Templates-Gallery